The holiday shopping season is about to shift into high gear, and new electronics will undoubtedly appear on many wish lists. Unfortunately, those gifts can come with a hidden price tag—higher utility bills in the New Year. Help your customers add energy efficiency to their shopping carts with these five suggestions from ENERGY STAR.
- TVs offer the hottest features—You don’t have to sacrifice those sought-after bells and whistles like smart TV functionality, ultra-high definition, large screens, LED backlighting to keep your electricity bill down. ENERGY STAR-certified TVs offer all the latest features, as well as being more than 25 percent more energy-efficient than standard models.
- Sound bars sound even better—Sound bars, wireless speakers and gadgets with Bluetooth connectivity are among the most popular new products, and some of the latest to earn the ENERGY STAR. You can make the audiophile on your list happy with gifts that are up to 60 percent more efficient.
- Give the “bright” gift—ENERGY STAR-certified LED, or light-emitting diode, bulbs make great gifts and stocking stuffers. Lighting technology is changing so quickly that it can be hard to keep track of the latest developments. Choosing the ENERGY STAR label is an easy way to make sure you get the energy efficiency and performance you expect. LED bulbs that earn the label are independently certified to ensure they deliver on brightness and color, and shine light where you want it.
- ‘Tis the season to be streaming—Tell your loved ones who like to stream movies and videos that laptops and tablets use the least amount of energy. Or better yet, give them an ENERGY STAR-certified slate or tablet. These personal devices use 10 times less power to stream than a game console does, seven times less power than streaming directly to a television and six times less than streaming to a desktop computer and monitor.
- The environment is on everyone’s wish list—Shopping for electronics can be overwhelming, but the little blue label makes the choice easier. ENERGY STAR products are designed and certified to save energy, a gift that keeps on giving long after the decorations are packed away and the last sugar cookie is eaten. It is the thought that counts and ENERGY STAR gifts show that you are thinking about innovative technology today and a cleaner environment tomorrow.
And although we would never recommend giving large home appliances as Christmas gifts, January and February are big months for those kinds of purchases. Use holiday bill inserts to remind your customers of the benefits of ENERGY STAR appliances and any customer rebates your utility offers.
Happy holidays from Western and ENERGY STAR.
Source: ENERGY STAR, 11/19/14