It is that time of year again, when the Environmental Protection Agency’s Green Power Partnership invites businesses, municipalities, schools and—yes—utilities to crow about their support for clean energy. The nomination period for the Green Power Leadership Awards opened March 1 and continues through April 18!
EPA co-sponsors the Green Power Leadership Awards with the Center for Resource Solutions (CRS) at the annual Renewable Energy Markets Conference. The awards recognize the leading actions of Green Power Partners that significantly advance the development of renewable energy sources. Consumers, businesses and organizations that choose green power instead of conventional electricity support energy technologies that will reduce the environmental impact of electricity generation and increase our energy security.
For leadership in use
The EPA Partner Awards highlight Green Power Partners and Communities for green power purchases or use of on-site renewable energy applications, overall green power strategy and impact on the green power market. The categories include:
- Excellence in Green Power Use (formerly Green Power Purchasing), recognizing partners who purchase green power from a utility green-pricing program, a competitive green marketer or a renewable energy certificate supplier
- Green Power Partner of the Year, honoring partners who distinguish themselves through their green power use, leadership, overall strategy and impact on the green power market
- Sustained Excellence in Green Power, recognizing continual leadership in advancing green power development
- Direct Project Engagement (formerly On-site Generation), honoring partners for using on-site renewable energy applications
- Green Power Community of the Year, recognizing EPA Green Power Communities that distinguish themselves through their green power use, leadership, citizen engagement, renewable energy strategy and impact on the green power market
For more information about the EPA awards, contact Roger Fernandez at 202-343-9386.
For leadership in market development
The CSR honors market development efforts in the following categories:
- Green Power Market Development, recognizing innovators and champions of renewable energy—both individuals and organizations—whose actions are building and growing the voluntary green power markets
- International Green Power Market Development, recognizing organizations and individuals who are building markets or demonstrating leadership in green power procurement outside North America
- Leadership in Green Power Education, honoring programs and organizations dedicated to spreading the word about the environmental benefits of green power and boosting public awareness and interest in renewable energy
- Green Power Leader of the Year, honoring individuals who leverage their influence, power, position or purchasing power to increase the prevalence of renewable energy
For more information about the CRS awards, please contact Lucy Harbor at 415-561-2103.
Green Power Partners, including utilities and municipalities, may nominate their own projects or programs, or another party may nominate them. The EPA honored Western customer Silicon Valley Power in 2015 for increasing locally generated renewables in its Santa Clara Green Power program. Key account representatives can check the Green Power Partner list to see if they have a customer who might be eligible for recognition. There is no limit to the number of applications a party may submit for the awards.
To apply for the EPA Awards and learn about eligibility requirements, visit the EPA’s GPLA Website. For the CRS Green Power Leadership Awards in Market Development, submit online using the 2016 GPLA Nomination Form. Nominations must be received by 11:59 PM, April 18, to receive consideration.
Good luck, and don’t forget to let Energy Services know if you or your customer wins an award. We are always interested in sharing your success with our readers!